Saturday, May 14, 2016

digging up incredibly old stuff...

My next pattern for the red scarf challenge is an oldie! I had this design published in 'Machine Knit America' Vol 4 No 6, May/June 1995 - OMG, MAO! that's more than 20 years ago - I guess I'll soon have to stop lying about my age! ;-)
I still have the cardigan - it was my very first use of woolray (now known as WCD/wool crepe deluxe) and I thought the design was brilliant then and still do actually, although the shape of the garment could use a revamp! The reason I've chosen it now for this ribber scarf is for the teaching value of the stitch pattern - it incorporates a neat little automatic pintuck, made by stitches knitting on the rib/front bed only, ignoring the back bed for 5 rows. Note, the tension setting on the ribber here for these 5 rows only  is 4 numbers higher than on the main bed because you want these stitches to be slightly larger than what the main bed stitches only would be (going back to that circular/tubular thing from the first scarf). Then you set for tuck and a plain row of FNR on both beds closes up the pintuck before going into the tuck pattern which alternates between vertical lines and a chevron but is controlled by the stitch pattern. 
Also the pattern shows slightly on the back side/side away making it nice for the scarf project! Hope you have fun with it and learn something about your machine!
Notes for programming pintuck and punch tuck rib pattern:
Punchcard: punch in reverse to shown: make holes for all the white squares and leave black squares unpunched. Add double row of holes top and bottom to join card.
SilverReed punchcard: Lock card on row 1. Read card. CAR. Unlock card. *Set cam lever to slip, side levers to triangle. T4/8, knit 5 rows ( rib bed only - makes pintuck); set cam to tuck, T4/4, K25R*. Repeat this *-* 30 row sequence throughout.
SilverReed electronic: make mylar as shown, lite #1 right is on, N1 cam at 0, point cams at edge of ns in work. *set to S/J (slip). T4/8, knit 5 rows ( rib bed only - makes pintuck); set cam to tuck, T4/4, K25R*. Repeat this *-* 30 row sequence throughout.
Brother electronic: enter as shown and use KHC light on, to select opposite needles for patterning. *Both slip buttons in. T4/8, knit 5 rows ( rib bed only - makes pintuck); set both tuck buttons in to tuck, T4/4, K25R*. Repeat this *-* 30 row sequence throughout.
My swatch (20-0-20 ns) light jade Tamm Perla MT -  would be T4 stockinette
Insert the close knit bar.
Bring 20-0-20 ns to work on main bed. Set to H5 and bring ns on ribber to work so outside ns are on ribber - one more than knit bed. Cast waste yarn in zigzag, hang comb and 1 large weight. Knit several rows, ending CAR. Switch to circular for the ravel cord, K2R. Cancel circular. Rack to H4. RC000. Main yarn, T1/1, K1R. Rack to H5, T2/2, K1R. T3/3, K1R. Continue in T4/4 (except for pintucks - see above). Knit in FNR to RC010. CAR. Download pattern (read punchcard or set up for pattern knitting) and I did one and a half repeats, the final pintuck and then went into FNR again for the end. T4/4, K7R. T3/3, K1R. T2/2, K1R. T8/8, K1R. Yes, the last row is zigzag. Change to circular, ravel cord, K2R. Waste yarn, K20R, zigzag, 2 rows...
You should know the cast off by now...
OOOPS! I see I've made a mistake in entering my stitch pattern - I'll fix it on the real thing - the stitch pattern shown here is correct - on my swatch, the chevron is off - no big deal but I thought I'd point that out incase you're wondering why yours isn't exactly the same - I thought it was a 12 stitch repeat but it's an 8...
If you need the DAK file or any help with this, please email me at knitwords@shaw.ca
I'll post the actual pattern and photo of my red scarf tomorrow or the next day hopefully.

No comments: