Thursday, May 8, 2014

moving on...

I have put the good wife cardi aside temporarily – I was having running-out-of-yarn anxiety before even starting and decided to move on to another project that’s been on my mind.
I had an RFD (request for design) from KnitStyle for the Feb ’15 issue and they didn’t like my submission – yeah, I know, what’s up with that? – well, actually maybe I’m being too sensitive – it wouldn’t be the first time! In response to my lace cardigan knit in cotton, they replied 
‘did you mean this for 195?  That's the Feb/Winter issue, so projects tend to be warm & cozy.  Perhaps this would be better for spring/196.’  
Okay, so I was caught up in the moment and wasn’t really considering winter – I re-submitted an alpaca pullover with an aran/cabley  look and they said that was okay.
But I really wanted to work on this one (foot stomp, pout, pout!)!
So what’s stopping me from making it anyway, just changing it up a bit and doing it on the standard gauge and keeping it for myself! heh, heh, heh! I feel better already! and I do have a lot of std gauge yarn, just here and waiting! Bonita(from Knitcraft), it is – mercerized cotton in a 500g/1850 yds cone that is like the machine knitting deal of the century – one cone that retailed for less than $25 with great yardage that will make an entire lace garment! Not bragging or anything, but I’ve got 4 cones of the natural colour – I figured it was good to stockpile because I can make something and then dye it the colour I want…uh, back to the task at hand….
2nd try...
I liked this but turned sideways, it goes in one direction...
My plan is to make a longish A-line cardigan with a hand-transferred lace panel on the back, shoulder width and then make a front/side panel in one piece (stockinette), so any size of the cardigan body could be made in 3 pieces – lots of times, for larger sizes, the back needs to be made in 2 pieces and seamed in the centre. And then there will be a shawl collar of the lace, knit horizontally with no facing because the lace would look okay from either side...

better because the 'circle'
of lace is same either way


tried out the shortrowing - doesn't
work in the purl stitch...

 So, why hand-transferred, you ask? Well, it did start from the mid gauge design and that would be hand transferred because there is no lace carriage. And I did, at first, contemplate doing something with the lace carriage, but when I factored in the purl stitch rows (RTRs) and the shortrows to make the A-line shape I decided that hand transfers would be easier than trying to re-program the lace carriage every time and worrying about turning off the electronics each time as well…

 

No comments: