Saturday, August 20, 2011

have gun case, can travel...

I’m packing to go west and I have this nice little gun case that is perfect for my LK150 - I bought it a long time ago - they used to be available at Wal-Mart in the USA, but someone told me they are no longer there - I did check on-line and this one is still available in Canada anyway - at Canadian Tire, of course! 
 
This one is the perfect size for my stock LK150 - it is almost the exact size of the original box - I’m a box saver, what can I say! I’ve been pushing the envelope to see what I can really pack into this thing...getting all the essentials plus whatever else will fit in.

When I got the gun case, I cut away the ‘egg carton’ portions to make it fit (click on the photo and it will enlarge) - notice one side is almost all cut away and on the other side, I just made a slot for the width of the carriage.
So in goes the machine, the hanger combs are underneath the bed and all the little bits, like claw weights, 2 row counters, tension mast, clamps, etc are around the edges - it all looks good, but I need something to knit, so might as well see how much yarn will fit - it should compress when I attempt to close - ah! good, enough for a garment project and a couple of skeins of sock yarn from Plymouth Yarns to experiment with - the wool winder, some waste yarn and my tool kit can go into my suitcase - I’ll let you know how I make out at the airport on Monday. I have some electrical tie wraps to ‘lock’ it but I’ll see if I can do that after they check it in security...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Looks like the one I took to TMK meeting this morning with my brother 350 inside. I did not cut out any of the eggcrate foam. Teena Crawshaw has great tales of flying with her gun case/knitting machine!
Rita in Raleigh, NC

Alysha in KY said...

They are still available at Walmart, just not in all areas. The store in my state didn't have any, but the store across the state line did. I bought two, one for my Bond and LK 140 and one for my ribber.

Ann Gibson said...

Great idea! Also saw this on the web: how to use insulation foam to make a custom cushion.
http://lifehacker.com/5836523/make-a-custom-form+fitting-case-for-your-tools-or-precious-gear-with-foam-filler